Balliang is a rural locality 20 km south of Bacchus Marsh and 55 km west of Melbourne. It is midway between Geelong and Bacchus Marsh. About 5 km to the west of Balliang there are the foothills of the Brisbane Ranges.
Balliang is situated on the famed Staughton Vale Estate (named after the pastoralist Simon Staughton who took up runs in the district in 1842). The estate was subdivided into 50 farm allotments in 1908. The Balliang school was opened in 1910 and the Balliang East school in 1913. Balliang also had a church (1912) and a public hall (1918). Only the two-classroom school at Balliang East (36 pupils, 2014) remains open, the other one having closed in 1994. Balliang’s timber hall was replaced in 1957 and the church had plans for its centenary in 2012.
Balliang East’s populations were recorded as ranging from 70 to 88 in 1921-54 and 612 in 2006. It was included with Parwan in the 2011 census.
Baillang's census populations have been:
Balliang, 90 years of settlement, 1908-1998, 1998