Brown Hill is a residential and rural/residential suburb with its post office about 3 km north-east of central Ballarat. It was originally a gold-mining hamlet on the Yarrowee River.
The place name originated as Brownbill's Diggings, named after an early gold discoverer, William Brownbill.
A school, named Eureka National, opened at the Diggings in 1853 on the site of a future Methodist church. Four years later the 'Brown's Hill' post office opened and the school's name changed about then, or when it became a Common School in 1863.
Brown Hill's main thoroughfare is Humffray Street North. In 1924 the street had Methodist and Anglican churches, the Brown Hill hotel (1857), two stores and a police station. The Brown Hill primary school, designed by Henry Bastow and built in 1877, was the most prominent building and remains so to this day. It has been renamed Caledonian State school. There is a caravan park west of the school.
Brown Hill's western boundary is Stawell Street, and the suburb extends eastwards across the Western Freeway to country that was in Bungaree Shire before municipal amalgamations in 1994.
There are shops, a hall, a recreation reserve and a swimming pool in Humffray Street. Brown Hill's census populations have been:
|Brown Hill and environs||2006||2742|
Brown Hill primary school centenary celebrations, Brown Hill, 1977