Burramine, 7 km west of Yarrawonga in north-eastern Victoria, is on the site of one of the State's oldest pastoral homesteads. In 1842 Elizabeth Hume, the widowed sister-in-law of Hamilton Hume, took up the Yarroweyah, or Yarrawonga, pastoral run. Her homestead, built of hand-made bricks and Murray pine, was named Byramine, reputedly derived from an Aboriginal word.
In the 1870s closer settlement occurred in the Burramine district, and four primary schools (Burramine and Burramine East, South and West) were opened between 1876 and 1884. The district was described in 1903 in the Australian handbook:
Between 1907 and 1950 three of the schools were closed. The one at Burramine South continued until 1993. While town facilities and population have diminished the land is still good for farming and responds to irrigation. Produce can be transported from the Telford railway yard, 10 km southwards.
Burramine's census populations have been:
|Burramine and environs||1911||268|
|Burramine and environs||2011||344|