Calivil is a rural locality about 60 km north-east of Bendigo. It was one of a number of farm localities established in the Loddon district during the 1860s and 1870s. Calivil is situated neither on a railway nor a road of any importance, but it has grown by being equidistant between the Waranga Western and Pyramid No 1 water channels. Calivil is extensively patterned with water channels in almost all its surrounds.
The place name is thought to have come from an Aboriginal word meaning musk duck.
Schools were opened at Calivil and Calivil North in 1878. They both continued until the 1950s when district schools were consolidated at Dingee.
The Waranga Western Channel to the Loddon River was completed in the early 1920s, bringing about substantial increases in agricultural production and local population. The Anglican population, making do with the local hall for church services, raised enough money to buy and transport an unused church building from Neilborough.
Calivil has a community centre, a church, a golf course, tennis and bowling facilities and a recreation reserve.
Its census populations have been:
|Calivil and environs||2006||226|
Michael Sharland, These verdant plains: a history of the Shire of East Loddon, 1971