A farming district east of Bayles and Koo Wee Rup in the shire of Cardinia, Catani was named after Carlo Catani, chief engineer in charge of the drainage of the Koo Wee Rup Swamp. The village grew up around the railway station, part of the Koo Wee Rup Strzelecki railway (1922) which enabled farmers to transport vegetables and dairy products across marshy land to Bayles. By 1923, the train was transporting over 1000 gallons of milk a day from Yannathan, Catani and Bayles stations. Depressed markets, farm abandonment and the development of motor transport led to the closure of the railway station in 1950. The site became part of a new road to Bayles. The primary school (1923) merged with Bayles as part of a State Government directive in 1993.
Current amenities include football club rooms and recreation oval, tennis courts, playground and public hall. The annual Catani agricultural show is held at Bayles.
Catani's census populations have been:
Merilyn Ramsay, Steam to Strzelecki: the Koo-Wee-Rup to McDonald's track railway, Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division, 1991
David Roberts, From swampland to farmland: a history of the Koo-Wee-Rup flood protection district, Rural Water Commission of Victoria, 1985