Upwey is a residential suburb in hilly surrounds 34 km south-east of Melbourne and 2 km west of Belgrave.
Until the turn of the nineteenth century Upwey did not have a separate identity. In the middle 1890s the part of the locality was divided into ten-acre blocks as part of the ‘Scoresby’ village settlement scheme, which extended northwards to Ferny Creek. Notwithstanding the Scoresby appellation, Upwey was known as Mast Gully, after several ship masts had been cut from a gully in 1850. (Mast Gully Creek and Mast Gully Road remain.)