Corack is a rural locality in the eastern part of the Wimmera region, generally 25 km north of Donald and 20 km south of Birchip. It was named after the Corack pastoral run (1844), an area of 40 sq km north of Lake Buloke. It is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal word describing land or a crow.
The Corack run was divided into two in 1864 and subdivision into farm selections occurred during 1872-75.
Schools were opened at Corack North (1877) and Corack East (1879). The latter locality, having the better land, was where the district's township was formed. By 1880 there was a blacksmith, a store and a hotel, and about 10 years later a creamery was built. During the 1880s Corack East also gained a mechanics' institute (1886), a Catholic church (1887) and a Methodist church (1891). Whilst the Catholic church was removed in 1967, the Methodist (later Uniting) was replaced with a contemporary designed structure in 1961. Along with the hall, they are the main public buildings in Corack.
Corack was described in the 1903 Australian handbook:
In all, there were five schools in the Corack district. Two closed in the 1940s, two closed before then, and Corack East's closed in 1971. Corack had football, tennis, cricket and racing clubs. A football club lasted until 1996 and a racecourse functioned from 1884 until 1964. Swimming and boating on Lake Corack ended, as did the lake when its water rights were transferred to a storage near Birchip.
Corack and district are used for cereal growing and fat lamb raising, and the census populations have been:
Jenni Campbell, The cream of Corack, Corack History Committee, 1997