Croydon South, a residential suburb, is 28 km east of central Melbourne. It is about 2 km from the Croydon railway station and its urban growth followed the postwar expansion of Croydon.
In 1959 the Cheong Park progress assocation (named after the public reserve now in Croydon) was formed for the promotion of South Croydon. Urbanisation began around the corner of Bayswater and Eastfield Roads, where the Taralla Creek runs from Croydon's parklands through Croydon South to Dandenong Creek. Croydon South's post office opened in a mixed business in 1961 and seven years later The Mall shops opened on the other side of Bayswater Road. At the Olympus Heights estate on the eastern side of Croydon South a second row of shops opened some years later.
A primary school opened in 1967. Within five years its enrolment was 770, boosted by children of families from England who worked at British Nylon Spinners in Bayswater North. There was also a high school (c1977), and the primary school closed in 2009 because of falling enrolments.
East of Dorset Road a large ICI research station has been replaced by industrial/warehouse uses.
Croydon South's census populations have been: