Eumemmerring is an outer south-eastern suburb of Melbourne, adjoining Doveton and 2 km east of Dandenong. The name is much older than the suburb, and is thought to be an Aboriginal word expressing agreement or pleasure.
Eumemmerring parish, through which runs the Eumemmerring Creek in a south-westerly direction, takes in the present-day suburb, the industrial Dandenong South and part of Hampton Park. The Eumemmerring pastoral run (1839) was to the north, reaching east to Harkaway and Narre Warren. The wide use of the name explains how two schools – one at Hallam (1858) opened by the Catholic church and another at Narre Warren (1861) – came to be named Eumemmerring.
The postwar industrialisation of Dandenong (Heinz, GMH and International Harvester) south of the Princes Highway presaged the residential growth of Dandenong north of the highway. Included in Doveton until 1981, the part between the Eumemmerring Creek and the Princes Highway was named Eumemmerring. The area is well provided with open space, the linear park along the creek having several ovals and sporting facilities. There are two neighbourhood shopping areas and a primary school (1977).
The railway line serves the industrial area, but Eumemmerring is bounded on the south and the east by the Princes Highway and the South Gippsland Freeway respectively.
Eumemmerring's census populations have been: