Gerang Gerung is a rural locality on the Western Highway and the Horsham to Adelaide railway line. It is about midway between Nhill and Dimboola. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning leaf or branch.
Pastoral occupation began in 1846 and closer-settlement farms were first taken up in 1874. In 1881 a water-storage reserve was established, and soon afterwards the nearby Junction Hotel was opened. Three years later a school was built and, in 1887 when the railway line was put through, the village of Gerang Gerung was surveyed.
The opening of the railway coincided with the opening of a general store, a Bible Christian church and a public hall. There was also a blacksmith and a saleyards near the station. Gerang Gerung was described in 1903 in the Australian handbook:
Large quantities of wheat were dispatched by rail, and a silo was built in 1939.
Although situated in an area with a considerable Lutheran population, the Methodist congregation (which succeeded the Bible Christians) has continued, and it constructed a new Uniting Church building in 1984. By then, the hotel had closed (1958) and the store and post office closed in 1985 and 1988 respectively. The football team united as Gerang-Kiata.
Gerang Gerung has a recreation reserve, tennis courts, public hall and a church. The school closed in 1993. Gerang Gerung's census populations have been:
Anne Longmire, Nine creeks to Albacutya: a history of the Shire of Dimboola, 1985
Chris Starr, Gerang Gerung remembered, New Style Publications, 1996