Great Northern, a former gold mining locality in south-east Victoria is 5 km east of Rutherglen. It is generally situated on the Murray Valley Highway, and is best identified by six areas of mine tailings in its vicinity.
Payable quantities of gold were found at Great Northern in 1886, and large scale production continued until the end of the 1890s at the two largest mines. Smaller mines continued into the next century. In 1903 Great Northern was described in the Australian handbook:
With the end of mining the district changed to agriculture, mainly cereals and viticulture. The Mount Ophir winery (now a heritage listed building) was 3 km to the south.
Great Northern’s census populations have been:
Brian Lloyd, Rutherglen: a history of town and district, Wangaratta, 1985