Kalimna is a rural and residential locality in east Gippsland, immediately west of Lakes Entrance, across a waterway known as North Arm.
Kalimna’s southern boundary is another waterway, The Narrows, where there is a precipitous bluff known as Jemmy’s Point. In 1886 Julian Thomas, the ‘Vagabond’ wrote a Gippsland Lakes travelogue, and thought that Kalimna and Jemmy’s Point offered the best scenery to be found in the lakes. In that year the Kalimna Heights hotel was opened, only four years after the first hotel in Lakes Entrance. Many travellers came by boat, and in 1890 the hotel proprietor built a jetty.
In the mid-1890s selectors took up farms west of Kalimna and along the North Arm waterway. They succeeded in getting a school opened in 1900. Known as Kalimna, it was renamed Kalimna West in 1916.
Kalimna West is the farming area, linked with Nungurner; Kalimna is the scenic and residential area, with the hotel, motels and roadside viewing points. Census populations have been:
|census date||Kalimna||Kalimna West|
*including Kalimna Heights **included in Nungurner