Knoxfield is a residential and commercial/industrial suburb 27 km east of central Melbourne, lying between Scoresby and Ferntree Gully. It was named shortly after the Knox shire was formed in 1963 by severance from Fern Tree Gully shire. The shire was named after Sir George Knox, a long-time Parliamentary representative and Speaker of the Victorian Legislative Assembly, 1942-47.
A pre-Knoxfield historic structure is the Lutheran church at the corner of Burwood Highway and Scoresby Road which has a heritage listed organ.
When first formed Knoxfield had about 400 residents on semi-suburban subdivisions. By 1970 the estimated population was 4000.
Burwood Highway crosses Knoxfield near its northern boundary. Along the highway are Knox City shopping centre and the Knox municipal offices (just west of Knoxfield) and the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (formerly the Institute for Horticultural Development, a reminder of the district’s agricultural and market-garden origins). Knoxfield’s southern boundary is Corhanwarrabul Creek, south of Ferntree Gully Road, and the flat water-way lands which contain Unifoods (formerly Rosella foods) and other industries. Between those areas there is extensive housing with two State primary schools, a State secondary school and a Catholic school. About central to the suburb there are recreation reserves, including sports ovals and a lake. There are also three reserves with sports facilities along Ferntree Gully Road. The creek at the southern extremity provides an extensive linear reserve.
The northern end of Knoxfield has had the convenience of Knox City shops since its early days, but shopping at the southern end was confined to a small drive-in centre on Ferntree Gully Road until the advent of Bunnings and bulky-goods outlets on former industrial land.
Knoxfield’s census populations have been: