Macorna is a rural village and locality 22 km south-east of Kerang and 85 km north of Bendigo. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word for wild goose.
It is situated in the Tragowel Irrigation District (c1885) and is on the railway line (1884) to Kerang. Early local institutions included a Baptist church, a school (1889) and a Rechabites’ hall. In 1903 Macorna was described in the Australian handbook:
Macorna is about five kilometres south of the Macorna Main Channel which carries irrigation water westwards from the Torrumbarry Weir (1924) on the Murray River. Much of the farmland around Macorna is used for dairying, and the old butter factory is recorded by the National Trust.
Macorna has a recreation reserve with tennis courts and a public hall. The school closed in 1991.
Macorna’s census populations have been: