Mount Duneed is a rural locality 10 km south of central Geelong. The mount is west of the State school in Williams Road, and has radio masts on its slopes. The Mount Duneed recreation reserve encloses the mount which is a volcanic cone. The name derives from the Gaelic word for a circular mound.
In 1855-60 the Mount Duneed area was subdivided for small farms. A heritage listed pre-fabricated cottage in Mount Duneed Road is thought to date from 1855.
A joint Anglican and Presbyterian church opened in 1861 and a school opened the next year. A flour mill also began operation in the 1860s, continuing until 1883.
Mount Duneed’s government school opened in 1878, and has continued as the district’s school. In 1994 the Connewarre and Freshwater schools amalgamated with it, and the regional facility had an enrolment of 196 in 2014.
In addition to the 1855 cottage there is an historic cemetery next to the school and farm ruins in Ghazeepore Road, also dating from the 1850s.
Mount Duneed was described in the 1903 Australian handbook:
Towards Geelong there are Geelong airport, the Geelong crematorium and cemetery (1988), Geelong Lutheran College (2009) and residential subdivisions and a shopping centre which are in the Armstrong Creek development zone (2012). The zone will probably absorb the airport.
Mount Duneed’s census populations have been:
*census area in 2011 smaller than in 2006