Mountain Gate is a residential locality in Ferntree Gully, where Ferntree Gully Road joins Burwood Highway, 28 km east of Melbourne.
Originally known as Ferntree Gully West, the locality had the Club Hotel as a stopping-off point for tourists and excursionists to the Ferntree Gully State Park. The first hotel there was built in 1866, and the present building dates from 1885. Its heyday for excursionists was when railway travellers took a coach ride from Oakleigh, a mode of travel that tailed off when a line to Upper Ferntree Gully opened in 1889.
With the spread of outer-eastern residential settlement during the 1960s, the place was renamed literally to describe it as the gate to the nearby hills. The name ‘Mountain Gate’ was formally gazetted in 1971. The Mountain Gate primary school opened in 1962 (306 pupils, 2014).
Mountain Gate adjoins the Ferny Creek, which provides a linear park. The Mountain Gate shopping centre has two supermarkets, 80 shops and the Mountain Gate post office.