Neerim and Neerim Junction
The Neerim district is north of Warragul in West Gippsland. Neerim South is the largest town, and the entry on that place gives a history of settlement.
Neerim is 23 km north of Warragul and 7 km from Neerim South. It became the lesser settlement when the northwards railway line from Warragul had its terminus at Neerim South during 1892-1917. Neerim gained its own station when the line was extended to Nayook.
Neerim has had a Methodist church (1881) and a school (1885-1968). It presently has a hall (1957) and a recreation reserve which is the venue for the annual Neerim district show. There is a fine war memorial (1923) near the cemetery.
Neerim Junction is 4 km north of Neerim, and was at first known as Neerim North. It was a district centre with a mechanics' institute, general store, coffee palace and blacksmith. In 1914 it opened a bush nursing centre. Its present hall was built in 1978.
Census populations have been:
|Census Date||Neerim||Neerim Junction||Combined|
* Includes environs
Dorothy Hunt, A history of Neerim, 1986
Dorothy Hunt, A history of Neerim II, 1988
Dorothy Hunt, Noojee and Neerim, 1989