New Gisborne is a rural township on the railway line from Melbourne to Bendigo, 50 km north-west of Melbourne and 3 km north of Gisborne.
In 1861 the railway line was built in a loop which avoided costly bridge works at Jacksons Creek, Gisborne. The railway station and the resulting settlement around it were named New Gisborne. The town centre did not migrate to the railway station, and New Gisborne remained very much the minor partner. With the growth of motor vehicle traffic along the Calder Highway and the Calder Freeway (1980s), Gisborne's urban growth outpaced New Gisborne's, but in the 2000s New Gisborne expanded.
The New Gisborne school opened in 1861, and was shortly replaced by an Anglican church school. It in turn was replaced by a government school in 1873. In time the settlement also had a post office, general store, hotel and a mechanics' institute.
Since 1970 when the Tullamarine Freeway was opened, New Gisborne has been within commuting distance of metropolitan Melbourne. Its residential population doubled between 1976 and 1996 and quadrupled by 2006. It has State and Catholic (1996) primary schools which draw pupils from surrounding areas. The State school had 506 pupils in 2014.
In 2012 residents were asked to comment on a new housing development draft plan, including about 320 new homes, a community centre, roads and footpaths on a 67 hectare site west of Station Road to be staged over 5-15 years.
New Gisborne's census populations have been: