Rokewood Junction was a gold-mining township on the Little Woady Creek, 35 km south-west of Ballarat, and 8 km north-west of Rokewood. The description of the place as a junction appears to have been because of the intersection of a minor back road between Dereel and Pitfield (also gold towns) with two creeks.
There are extensive old mine workings in the hills around Rokewood Junction, which are nearly the only evidence of the township.
Mining activity began in the late 1850s and a school was opened in 1861. By the 1870s there were two hotels and a mechanics’ institute was opened towards the end of the century. Gold mining had declined by then but had a brief revival in 1902. The longest lasting business was a bread bakery, probably kept at Rokewood Junction because of the availability of firewood from surrounding hills. When the school’s attendance was 6 pupils in 1947 it was closed. By then many buildings had been removed or had fallen into decay.
Rokewood Junction’s census populations were:
In 2011 its population was included in the census count for Rokewood.
Gladys Seaton, Gold reef and silver tussock: a history of the Shire of Leigh, Rokewood, 1988