The Heart is a rural locality in eastern Victoria, 10 km east of Sale and within a few kilometres of Lake Wellington. It was named after a pastoral run that was taken up in 1843, which had taken the name from a report written in 1840 by Land Commissioner Tyers describing the area as 'truly . . . the heart of Gippsland'.
The area is low lying, but with good summer pasture. There is increasing swampiness as The Heart Morass Game Reserve to the south is approached.