Taylors Hill is a residential suburb in the north-east of Melton shire, immediately south of Sydenham and 22 km north-west of central Melbourne. The area was part of William Taylor’s Overnewton pastoral estate which was subdivided for closer settlement in 1905. The landscape rises to Melbourne Water’s Sydenham tank on a rise near the middle of the suburb.
One of the several farm homesteads survives in Hume Drive. Dalgook homestead (1906) has been refurbished by the shire council as a community centre and is set in a reserve with fragments of the original farm.
Taylors Hill’s first modern houses were started in about 2000. Community facilities took several years to arrive. The State primary school and Watervale shopping centre opened in 2010, and Taylors Hill shopping centre (after several years delay) opened in 2011. The Seventh Day Adventists’ Gilson College predated all of these. Situated on the very east of Taylors Hill, it opened in 1987, having moved from Pascoe Vale.
Taylors Hill has several neighbourhood reserves and a linear reserve and wetland along a tributary of Kororoit Creek. Most dwellings are detached houses with restrictive covenants and design guidelines to control the streetscape.
The Taylors Hill development was marketed as a rapidly expanding residential estate set on 226 hectares with proposals for increased commercial/retail
space, sporting facilities and eight fully landscaped parks.
Taylors Hill primary school had 616 pupils in 2014.
Taylors Hill’s census populations have been:
The population is multi-cultural, with an estimated 49.4% speaking English at home at the 2011 census (Victoria, 72.4%).