Weering, now named Barpinba, was a rural locality in the Western District, 30 km north of Colac and east of Lake Corangamite.
The area is situated close to the fertile Warrion Hills and has been highly suitable for intensive agriculture and grazing. Settlement began in the early 1860s with a few subdivided farms, and a school was opened in 1867. A homestead (ruin) (1864) in Barpinba Road was built by a pioneer farmer Daniel Readie. On a grander scale there is Weering homestead (1864) in Porneet Road.
The name, Weering, is thought to have been derived from an Aboriginal word meaning ear. There was a Weering riding in the Colac Shire, but the name change to Barpinba occurred in about 1911: the new name was a composite of the first syllables of the surnames of the riding councillors Barnand, Pink and Bath.
The old name is retained by Lake Weering, a salt catchment to the east, and it remained the name of the school until it was closed in 1968.
Weering's census populations were: