Williams Landing, a suburb gazetted in 2007, is 19 km south-west of central Melbourne. Formerly it was the western part of Laverton, and it adjoins the RAAF Williams Laverton Air Force base.
The base was named after Sir Richard Williams (1890-1980), one time Air Vice Marshall. Williams’ airforce career began as a flight commander, Number 1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps in 1916. He was decorated for action in Palestine. Rising to leadership in the infant RAAF he became Air Vice Marshall in 1935, but was denied leadership in World War II. Nevertheless, he was Director General of Civil Aviation, 1946-55.
Airfields on Williams Landing closed in 1996 after 70 years of service. The suburb includes on its north-west corner the Wyndham Waters residential estate (2001) which was not part of the air base. By 2012 houses had been completed adjacent to Wyndham Waters and the building of a new railway station on the south of Williams Landing was completed and opened in April 2013. The new elevated station building is adjacent to the new Williams Landing town centre and is located between Aircraft and Hoppers Crossing stations on the Werribee Line. Palmers Road was also extended across the rail line to link the station and Williams Landing town centre with the Princes Freeway and Point Cook. About one quarter of the suburb is conservation reserves, notably around a wetland in the south-west corner.
The Federation trail passes through Williams Landing, following the reservation for the Melbourne to Werribee sewer line.
Williams Landings’ census population has been:
Over half the families were non-English speaking at home and Hindu and Islam were the second and third placed religious affiliations at the 2011 census.