Binginwarri is a rural locality in South Gippsland, about 10 km north of Welshpool and 155 km south-east of Melbourne. It is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal word meaning hungry stomach.
Binginwarri is situated in hilly country with scattered forest. The Strzelecki State Forest is to the north.
Farm selections began to be taken up in 1878 and their number increased during the 1880s. A school was opened in 1888. In addition to farming, timber cutting assisted the local economy, and a sawmill was recorded in the 1920s. The village acquired a number of amenities - mechanics' institute hall (1912), a post office (1920), a swimming pool and tennis courts (1920s) and a Presbyterian church (1933). After World War II population began to decline, despite rabbit control and electricity being switched on in 1961. Dairy farms were amalgamated in the 1960s-80s, and some turned over to pine tree plantations.
The post office closed in 1968 and the school closed in 1993. The former Presbyterian, now Uniting, church has regular services. Binginwarri has an active Landcare group.
Binginwarri's census populations have been:
John Adams, From these beginnings: history of the Shire of Alberton (Victoria), Alberton Shire Council, 1990
Trevor Kennedy, History of Binginwarri 1883-1972, Back To Committee, 1972
Trevor Kennedy, Water from the billy: Binginwarri 1882-1988, 1988