Blackburn North is a residential area 17 km east of central Melbourne extending from Springfield Road, Blackburn to the Koonung Creek.
The rural background to Blackburn North was much like that of Blackburn's. Its residential development came as urbanisation spread from Blackburn. In 1954 the primary school was opened, on the southern border of the area. The Blackburn technical school in Blackburn North was opened in 1959. Other schools in Blackburn North are: Middlefield State primary (1962-92), Springview State primary (1964) renamed Whitehorse, Catholic primary (1965), Old Orchard primary (1995) on part of former technical school which closed in 1992.
Blackburn North has two small neighbourhood shopping centres and two reserves with ovals or sporting facilities. During the late 1960s and early 1970s the name Beverley Hills was attached to Blackburn North, but it appears now to be located on the other side of Koonung Creek, in Doncaster East where the Beverley Hills primary school (1959) is found. The Eastern Freeway runs along the Koonung Creek valley.
Blackburn North’s census populations have been:
At the 2011 census, 11.2% of residents spoke Mandarin or Cantonese at home.