Baringhup is a rural locality on the Loddon River, immediately north of the Cairn Curran reservoir and 10 km west of Maldon. The nearest provincial centre is Maryborough, 22 km to the south-west.
Baringhup was first known as Bryant’s Crossing, as there is a ford over the Loddon River nearby. A bridge was built in 1855, along with the opening of the Loddon Hotel and a blacksmith. A school was also opened in 1855.