Barkers Creek, an agricultural and horticultural locality, is about midway between Castlemaine and Harcourt, 110 km north-west of Melbourne. It is situated on a creek of the same name.
Dr William Barker (1818-99) took up the Mount Alexander pastoral run in 1845, and in 1851 four of his employees found gold in Specimen Gully, a tributary of Barkers Creek. It was the first formally recognised discovery in the district, and led to the Mount Alexander gold diggings. A cairn erected in 1931 commemorates the discovery.