Fawkner is a residential suburb 12 km north of central Melbourne with the Hume Highway on its west and the Merri Creek on its east. To its south is Coburg North.
The area was first known as Box Forest, after a subdivision of farmlets sold by John Pascoe Fawkner in the early 1850s. The name was superseded by Fawkner fairly soon, although a Box Forest (Anglican) school was opened in 1846 and a Box Forest Road runs along the northern boundary of the Fawkner cemetery. (The original Box Forest subdivision is west of present-day Fawkner.)