Forest Hill is a residential suburb 17 km east of central Melbourne immediately south of Blackburn and Nunawading.
The area was originally known as Scotchman's Hill and Mt Pleasant in the 1860s. An early settler was Abraham Rooks (Rooks Road is on the east of Forest Hill), who was a Wesleyan. He was associated with the Mt Pleasant Wesleyan church (1865), which was the site of the area's first primary school. The church is now the Mt Pleasant Uniting Church.