Garden City, a residential area in the west of Port Melbourne, is 5 km south-west of central Melbourne.
The land on which Garden City is laid out was known as Sandridge Flat, and subsequently as Fishermans Bend. When the Coode Canal was constructed in 1884-86, to both improve cargo ship access to the docks and to increase the stream velocity for upstream flood mitigation, the excavated silt was used for land reclamation. Much of the surrounding land was marshy river delta. (See Coode Island for further explanation and remarks on Fishermans Bend.)