The Glenmaggie district is in the Macalister River valley in Gippsland, 10 km north of Heyfield and 160 km east of Melbourne.
In 1851 Malcolm MacFarlane took up the Heyfield pastoral run, an area of more than 61,000 acres. Eight years later it was subdivided, the second part being named Glenmaggie. It is thought that the name was bestowed by another Scots pioneer, Angus McMillan, in memory of Margaret McKinnon from his boyhood days. In 1866 gold was discovered in the area, and by the 1870s farm selectors came to settle there.