Grovedale is an outer suburb of Geelong, 6 km south-west of the city centre. It is named after a property of about 76 hectares acquired by Alexander Pennell in 1847, just south of Waurn Ponds Creek.
Originally the place was named Germantown, which arose from several families of Lutheran German origin who arrived at Corio Bay in 1849. A Geelong pioneer, Dr Alexander Thomson, encouraged them to settle on Pennell’s land. A school was opened in 1854.