Highton is a residential suburb on the south-west side of the Barwon River, 4 km from central Geelong.
It was named after John Highett, Highett-town having been shortened to Highton. Highett arrived in the district as a grazier in 1836-37. He built Highton house on Montpellier hill overlooking the river. It later became the Montpellier vineyard, hotel and picnic ground. (Highett had a brother, William after whom the Melbourne suburb of Highett was named).