Lilliput is a rural locality in north-east Victoria, 7 km south of Rutherglen. It was named after the pastoral run taken up by three partners, one of whom was James Gullifer, in 1845. The run was relatively small in area, and the association of smallness and the kingdom of Lilliput in the novel Gulliver’s travels by Swift, apparently brought about the name.
Lilliput has always been an agricultural area. Gullifer’s farm homestead, c1848, was considered to be still liveable in 1983 and to be the oldest surviving building in north-east Victoria.