Macorna is a rural village and locality 22 km south-east of Kerang and 85 km north of Bendigo. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word for wild goose.
It is situated in the Tragowel Irrigation District (c1885) and is on the railway line (1884) to Kerang. Early local institutions included a Baptist church, a school (1889) and a Rechabites’ hall. In 1903 Macorna was described in the Australian handbook: