Mandurang is a rural/residential and hobby farm locality 8 km south-east of Bendigo. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning black cicada.
Mandurang was a goldfield settlement, along with timber cutters who harvested trees from the Mandurang forest (now a State Forest). A Methodist school was opened in 1861, and was replaced by a government school in 1877. There were Methodist and Catholic (1871) churches.