Maribyrnong is a residential and industrial suburb enclosed on three sides by the Maribyrnong River, 6 km north-west of central Melbourne. The southern side is adjacent to Maidstone. Maribyrnong city is discussed at the end of this entry.
Maribyrnong was spelled ‘Marriburnong’ in a map dated 1840. The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning saltwater river.