The Shire of Omeo (1872-1994) was proclaimed in 1872. Situated in the Great Dividing Range in East Gippsland, the former shire was mountainous and forested. The small population was mainly distributed in the valley of the Tambo River and on the Omeo Plains. The administrative centre was at Omeo, with smaller towns at Swift’s Creek and Benambra. The Omeo Highway traversed the former shire from south to north, providing a link between Gippsland and north-east Victoria.