Sandringham, a bayside residential suburb, is 16 km south-east of central Melbourne and 4 km south of Brighton. The area was first known as Gipsy Village, from a fishing community which occupied the coast line around Picnic Point, out of sight of Brighton. In 1852 a land speculator, Josiah Holloway, attempted to sell off allotments, named the ‘estate’ Gipsy Village. (The proposal was ahead of its time, as the railway line did not reach Brighton until 1861 let alone the extension to Sandringham in 1887). In 1855 a school opened in the Anglican church.