Selby is a semi-rural township 37 km south-east of Melbourne. It is 2 km east of Belgrave, and was the first station on the narrow gauge railway (1900) to Gembrook (now the ‘Puffing Billy’ scenic railway).
The settlement of Selby occurred in conjunction with Menzies Creek, a short distance eastwards. The provision of a station on the narrow gauge railway in 1901 required the giving of a name. Selby was chosen, as a compliment to a local landowner and councillor, George Selby.