Represented now by a small collection of buildings beside the Hamilton-Ararat railway line 13 km east of Hamilton, Strathkellar takes its name from the sheep run bought for subdivision from the McKellar family in 1905 by the Closer Settlement Board. Earlier, in 1860, Thomas McKellar, noted for introducing hares and deer into the area for sporting purposes, had bought the eastern half of the original Grange sheep run and applied his family name to the homestead and property.

Subscribe to Strathkellar