Wandin is a rural town 42 km east of Melbourne and 8 km beyond Lilydale. There are adjoining agricultural districts of Wandin North and (eastwards), Wandin Yallock.
The name is first recorded in the Parish of Wandin Yallock, surveyed 1866-68. The parish survey reserved a site for a township about 1 km south of the present township, but the coming of the railway in 1901 resulted in the township being built in its present position. Wandin and Yallock are thought to be Aboriginal words for running water or running stream.