Lake Gardens is a residential suburb west of Lake Wendouree, Ballarat. The residential part is on the site of the former Lakeside Hospital and its southern, non-residential part, includes the Prince of Wales Park and Ballarat High School. Its southern boundary is Sturt Street where there are the Avenue of Honour and the Arch of Victory.
Until the building of the residential estate in the mid-2000s all of the land at Lake Gardens was for public purposes. The largest was the Ballarat Asylum (1877) which was renamed several times until its closure in the early 2000s as the Lakeside Psychiatric Hospital. To the south, at the corner of Sturt and Gillies Streets, the Ballarat Agricultural high school opened in 1918. The school had an 80 acre farm, and a farm silo remains, although no longer in the school's grounds. The high school building is heritage listed and includes memorial gates and a hall that is elaborately fitted out. North of the school there are the Prince of Wales Gardens, the Ballarat Specialist School and the Ballarat Aquatic Centre.
Wendouree railway station is north of Lake Gardens. Lake Gardens' census populations have been:
Phil Roberts, High school: a hundred years, thousands of footsteps, Geelong, 2007