Maroondah is a city formed on 15 December 1994 by the amalgamation of the former cities of Croydon and Ringwood and the district of Kilsyth South. Its western boundary adjoins Mitcham and its eastern boundary Mooroolbark. The northern boundary adjoins Warrandyte and the southern boundary is the Dandenong Creek. The city’s area is 61 sq km.
The administrative centre is the former Ringwood civic centre, 25 km east of central Melbourne, and the former Croydon municipal offices are a customer service office.
The name Maroondah comes from the Maroondah reservoir (1927) and the Maroondah Highway, which is a main road from Melbourne to Lilydale and thence across the Yarra Ranges, in which the reservoir is situated. Maroondah is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning pine trees.
Most of Maroondah city is undulating landscape, other than the valley plain along the Dandenong Creek.
Maroondah’s retail and commercial area is mainly along the Maroondah Highway corridor. The Eastland Shopping Centre is at Ringwood, where the railway divides into a line approximately following the highway and another line running south-east. The northern part of Maroondah city (Croydon north) was rural/residential in some parts until the early 2000s.
Maroondah city’s census populations have been:
Although Maroondah city has a slightly above-average proportion of separate houses, dwelling construction during 2001-11 as measured at the census was concentrated on higher-density housing. Row houses, flats and units went from 18.1% to 22.5% of all dwellings (2001-11 census figures).
Richard Peterson and Peter Barrett, Maroondah heritage study, 2003
Kilsyth South, Croydon city and Ringwood city entries