Morang was the name for the place now known as Mernda. The name came from the Parish of Morang, which was named after an Aboriginal word thought to mean cloudy or sky. Mernda was known as Morang until 1893, then South Yan Yean and finally as Mernda from 1913.
Morang was described in the 1903 Australian handbook:
South Morang (south of Mernda) remains as a place and is described in its own listing.