Raglan is a rural locality and former gold mining village on Fiery Creek, 8 km north-west of Beaufort and 30 km north-west of Ballarat.
During 1854-55 gold was discovered at several places north of Beaufort and they were termed the Fiery Creek diggings. In 1855 the town of Raglan was surveyed, a few kilometres north-west of Musical Gully which was the first of the finds which provoked the Fiery Creek rush. The name was inspired by Baron Raglan (Lord Fitzroy Somerset, 1788-1855), commander of the British troops at Crimea (1854).
After the initial flurry of mining, farming and wood cutting were also taken up. Messmate from the westerly Mount Cole forest was cut in large quantities, and in the 1860s there were two sawmills at Raglan. There were also two hotels and a school (1861).
About 5 km north-east of Raglan was Chute, also a gold field village. (It was named Carlton until the 1880s). The gold areas generally followed the Beaufort-Amphitheatre Road. Chute had a store, school and Primitive Methodist church (1903), somewhat less than the amenities described for Raglan in the Australian handbook in 1903:
Agriculture and grazing took over from mining. Raglan has extensive old gold workings to its east and north-east. There are a hall and a public reserve, and the school closed in 1996.
Raglan's census populations have been:
Hugh Anderson, The flowers of the field: a history of the Ripon Shire, Melbourne, 1969