Mooroopna is a provincial township on the western side of the Goulburn River, immediately adjoining Shepparton. It is thought that the name derives from an Aboriginal word meaning deep water.
The township did not arise from a government survey, but was sold as private allotments by W.S. Archer, who settled on a small farm there in about 1860. The subdivision of pastoral runs for farm selections in the early 1870s was stimulus for the sale of town lots by Archer in 1874. Mooroopna drew ahead of Shepparton until the railway line was taken through the latter.