Myrniong is a rural village in the Pentland Hills, 60 km west of Melbourne. Originally on the Western Highway it is now bypassed by the Western Freeway to its south. Myrniong is 9 km west of Bacchus Marsh and 3 km east of Pykes Creek Reservoir (1911).
It is thought that the name is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning an edible root. Until about 1863 the locality was known as Blow’s Flat, not especially apt because most of Myrniong is hilly.