Nagambie is a rural township on the Goulburn River in central northern Victoria, 27 km north of Seymour. It is on the Goulburn Valley Highway and the railway line (1880) between Seymour and Shepparton.
Farm selection activity began in the mid-1860s in the Nagambie district, and in 1868 the Nagambie township was gazetted. It was located beside a flood prone horseshoe shaped piece of ground which was usually surrounded by a lagoon on the town site. Nagambie is thought to be an Aboriginal word meaning lagoon or still waters.