South Gippsland Shire
South Gippsland Shire was created in 1894, severed from Alberton Shire. The former shire consisted of the hinterland of Corner Inlet, extending into the Strzelecki Ranges on its northern boundary and including Wilson’s Promontory in the south. Its area was 1432 sq km and Foster was the administrative centre. The other main towns in the shire were Toora, Fish Creek and Port Welshpool.